Monday, August 1, 2011

Can you read this diagram?




So can you understand any of these diagrams? I bet you are having a little bit of trouble right now.

You are probably thinking I chose diagrams that are too hard and that this is an unrealistic example. However, these diagrams contain complex information with content specific vocabulary and no instructions on how to read them. This is what young students deal with in science all the time. They are expected to look at a diagram and develop some sort of understanding when no instructions have been provided. In diagrams, there are arrows that could mean a thousand different things, there are pictures that could be flat or 3-D or from a birds eye view, there are objects that are not represented to scale, there is movement that is unspecified, and on top of that there are a whole bunch of words that are difficult for students to understand. Reading diagrams is no joke.

So how do you teach visualization?

Well let me tell you that teaching students to read a visual representation is not easy. I have found that the best way to tackle this medium is to have students create their own diagrams from topics being covered in class or from a specific reading. As students start to make their own diagrams, they begin to understand the structure of diagrams a little bit better. However, this too takes a lot of guidance. You can't just hand a kid a blank piece of paper and expect them to produce some amazing diagram. Honestly, there actually has to be lessons on making a diagram. For instance, you can take a really simple topic such as a daily routine and make a diagram out of it as a whole class. Maybe if you wake up early, you will be tired or energized and both of those should be portrayed on the chart. As students start using different diagrams to represent different things, they will start to understand why certain diagrams are set up the way they are. Understanding that structure will help them to understand diagrams a little bit better.

I know that this is just an introduction into a very large skill, but you have to start somewhere. Once, I started building these skills I was able to see some change in concept understanding. Also, if they are making their own diagrams it is easy to assess where any misconceptions may be. For example, one of my students always thought that arrows meant that the object is moving that direction. So in a food chain diagram, she thought all the animals were just moving around rather than energy being moved around. When she drew her diagram and the animals were ending up in different places, I understood why she was having difficulties with the food chain. Also, while I was able to clear up a misconception with the food chain, I was also able to clear up a misconception that she had with arrows. I mean, it is no quick fix, but it helpful to understand where the material is getting tricky. As I continue to research, I am finding new ways to teach these skills. However, I have learned a lot through trial and error so I hope to continue to strengthen my instruction in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment